When you’re having a destination wedding, there is one thing that you must do… and it could be a little nerve wracking… you have to travel with your wedding dress!
Traveling with a wedding dress can be a bit tricky, but with the right tips, it can be done smoothly. Here are some tips to help make is a little easier:
- Carry it On: If possible, carry your wedding dress with you on the plane as a carry-on item. Most airlines will allow you to stow it in the cabin closet or hang it in the first-class wardrobe… if the plane has one. Not all planes will have this space.
- Use a Garment Bag: Invest in a sturdy, breathable garment bag to protect your dress. Make sure it’s big enough to accommodate the dress without squeezing it too tightly. Padding the folds with tissue paper can also help prevent wrinkles.
- Call Ahead: Inform your airline in advance that you’ll be traveling with a wedding dress. They might be able to provide extra assistance or offer special accommodations to ensure your dress arrives safely.
- Steam at Your Destination: Expect some wrinkles after the journey. Research local bridal shops or services that offer steaming or pressing. It’s usually best to steam the dress at your destination to ensure it looks flawless on your big day. But also pay attention to the material of the dress! Your dress may only need to be hung up for a day or two to work the wrinkles out. Make sure you know before you go!
- Be Mindful of Security: When going through security, be prepared to remove the dress from its bag. Stay calm, and politely request a private screening if you’re uncomfortable with a public inspection. Security personnel are generally understanding about these situations.
Remember, the key is to plan ahead, communicate with your airline, and handle your dress with care.
Safe travels, and best wishes on your wedding day! 😊✈️👰